is eC alot like D?

sclytrack via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 10 23:22:32 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 11 March 2015 at 04:10:51 UTC, Taylor Hillegeist
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 11 March 2015 at 03:55:21 UTC, Rikki Cattermole
> wrote:
>> On 11/03/2015 4:16 p.m., Taylor Hillegeist wrote:
>>> So I found http://ec-lang.org/ it seems alot like D, But it
>>> has a
>>> company backing it. It just seems interesting.
>>
>> There is almost no meta programming support. Let alone CTFE.
>> And no generics in the form of e.g. Java's is not the same as
>> D's meta-programming support.
>
> Yes, D is a very powerful language with a boatload of features.
> eC almost seems like a subset. but what I find fascinating is
> the infrastructure built around it. Of course when someone's
> full time job is to build infrastructure, I tends to happen
> more predictably. But like all things in life you have to take
> the good, and carry it with you into the future. I bet there is
> alot we can learn from eC. I wonder how compatible the two
> languages are, I have been experimenting with language to
> language porting techniques, every language is in similar in
> some way to another, but to varying degrees.

A quote from Jerome on the eC forum.

"eC is yet another multiparadigm procedural/object-oriented
language which has C for its foundation.
This puts it alongside Java, C++, C#, D, Objective C and probably
countless others less famous programming languages."

"What this means:

- You can include C library headers directly in your .ec code,
without any special keyword (like extern "C" in C++)
- There is no special mangling going on for normal functions (C
binary compatibility), which means you can interface in both
directions with any language supporting C bindings.
- Simply put, eC does not take anything away from C, it only adds
useful features to it"