Contributing to Phobos Documentation

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 21 14:50:31 PDT 2015

On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 05:48:40PM +0000, Craig Dillabaugh via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> Motivated by this thread:
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/measc3$qic$1@digitalmars.com
>
> I was hoping to see if I could do some work on the Phobos
> documentation, but I am curious to know what the easiest way for
> someone with limited/no ddoc experience to get involved in this would
> be.  I checked the CONTRIBUTING.md file in phobos and it is a bit on
> the 'light' side.
>
> I assume just fixing stuff in my local repo and sending PRs would be
> insufficient, as I should be 'testing' my documentation changes.  Is
> there a resource where I can learn how to generate the phobos
> documentation for phobos locally.

On Posix:

	git clone https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org
	cd dlang.org
	make -f posix.mak phobos-prerelease
	cd ..
	ln -s dlang.org/web .
	cd ../phobos
	make -f posix.mak html

You should now be able to point your browser at
web/phobos-prerelease/index.html and see the generated docs.

Or copy web/* into your web folder of your local webserver and point
your browser to the appropriate URL.

Note that for this to work, the dlang.org and phobos repos must share a
common parent directory, as the makefiles currently make a lot of
assumptions about your directory layout, and may die horribly if you use
a "non-standard" layout.

> Second question, can I generate documentation for a single module
> rather than all of phobos each time I try to update something.
[...]

You could just run `make -f posix.mak html` and it should only update
those files that changed since you last ran it. (In theory, anyway. Make
is unreliable and sometimes you have to delete the generated files in
order to refresh them, but hopefully this will be rare.)

Customer support: the art of getting your clients to pay for your own incompetence.