How will std.allocator change how we program in D?

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 2 18:19:04 PDT 2015

On Friday, 2 October 2015 at 23:54:18 UTC, Taylor Hillegeist
wrote:
> I do not come from a c++ background. but have looked at what
> allocators do for c++. I know in D the standard for memory
> management is garbage collection and if we want to manage it
> ourselfs we have to do things like @nogc. I was just curious
> how the std allocator will change how we do things.

others will give better answers.  I suppose containers (I think
one of Andrei's next projects) will make a big difference.  you
can look at the following, which is used by EMSI in production
(and now based on Andrei's allocator), a company whose work was
recently profiled by the New York Times.

https://github.com/economicmodeling/containers

btw you use nogc if you want to be sure you are not allocating by
mistake (or track down rogue allocations you hadn't thought
about).  and it gives users of your code confidence.  but if you
don't allocate much, you don't absolutely need to use nogc.