OT: why do people use python when it is slow?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sun Oct 18 07:23:02 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 18 October 2015 at 13:57:40 UTC, Namespace wrote:
> I liked the fact that Python with PyPy is more performant than
> Go (in contrast to the title "Python is slow") and that
> Go-Routines leak.

Yes, Python apparently used less memory, which is rather
important when you write a service with persistent websocket
connections, like a webchat or game. Old school stackless
coroutines probably would be better than fibers like D and Go
uses.

An alternative to writing such code for the application is to get
persistent connections by "ready made" server-infrastructure
(which probably is more reliable anyway). On AppEngine you have
something called channels which basically allows you to send
messages to a connected client push-style:

https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/python/channel/

As far as I can tell that means that the application server can
die without loosing the connection.