OT: why do people use python when it is slow?

Mengu via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sun Oct 18 13:44:43 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 18 October 2015 at 13:29:50 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Sunday, 18 October 2015 at 12:50:43 UTC, Namespace wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 at 23:26:14 UTC, Laeeth Isharc
>> wrote:
>>> https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Python-so-popular-despite-being-so-slow
>>> Andrei suggested posting more widely.
>>
>> Maybe also interesting:
>> https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1LO_WI3N-3p2Wp9PDWyv5B6EGFZ8XTOTNJ7Hd40WOUHo/mobilepresent?pli=1&slide=id.g70b0035b2_1_168
>
> What I got out of that is that someone at Mozilla were writing
> a push service (stateful connections, which more demanding than
> regular http) and found that jitted Python was more suitable
> than Go for productivity reasons. Then they speculate that
> their own Rust will be better suited than Go for such services
> in the future, apparently not yet.
>

> To the poster further up in the thread: turns out that
> reddit.com is implemented in Python and a little bit of C:
> https://github.com/reddit/reddit
>
> So there we have it. Python gives higher productive at the cost
> of efficiency, but does not have a significant impact on
> effectiveness, for regular web services that are built to scale.

that's the pylons guy. he also has many python libraries for web
development. reddit is built with pylons btw and pylons is now
pyramid.

i've seen the presentation and i can't stop thinking how it'd be
if they had chosen D instead of Go.