Anybody use Derelict FreeType recently (successfully)

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sun Sep 20 01:43:23 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 20 September 2015 at 02:58:21 UTC, WhatMeWorry wrote:

> For my D programming I use the Visual D Studio package
> (plug-in?) with the "free Visual Studio Shell (2013).
>
> I download Visual Studio Express 2015 and used the FreeType 2.6
> solution file. (So no makefile).
>
> I tried making both a 32 and 64 bit freetype.dll  I've got a 64
> bit Windows 8.1 machine, but I tried to leave no stone
> untouched.
>
> I'm kinda self taught, so I might have made an error somewhere.
>  Or Could Visual Studio Express 2015 be too new?

The new unified C runtime that MS uses with VS 2015 could
potentially be an issue, but you would have seen a
SharedLibLoadException if that were a problem in this case. I'll
play around with it when I have time. I want to try to reproduce
it if possible so that if it turns out to be an issue others are
likely to face, I can add a warning to the future documentation
about how *not* to build FreeType on Windows.

I've had problems with Visual Studio builds of open source
libraries in the past. The project solutions that they ship are
often outdated, missing certain files or options. Visual Studio
support tends to, understandably, lag behind in projects that are
primarily maintained by Linux or Mac users, so it's often up to
community members to keep it updated. For that reason, I prefer
to build Windows DLLs with MinGW + MSYS2. I rarely have any
issues taking that approach.

> PS.  Derelict is great.  I'm using FreeImage and OpenAL as well.

Thanks!