State of windows DLL support

rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sun Apr 3 04:46:24 PDT 2016

On 03/04/2016 11:36 PM, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
> What is the state of DLL support on windows?
>
> I ask because I have a project coming up very soon which will require
> interacting with DLLs (I think it is a C interface) and I would much
> rather do it in D than C given the opportunity.
>
>   I don't think the choice of language matters, users and maintainers
> can read neither C nor D, and it has to be able to communicate with
> LabVIEW (shudder,gag), best way would be some kind of File based
> bidirectional pipe, or some kind of localhost server? I would be writing
> the server.

Assumption: you need a shared library loaded into LabVIEW.

What I would suggest is if you can throw together a simple c library
that manages:

- starting/stopping/restarting a process
- communicating with said process

That way you can alter during runtime the program and still use D, or
any language really.