Why is Linux the only OS in version identifier list that has a lowercase name?

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 12 11:23:25 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 17:22:05 Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-
learn wrote:
> On Tuesday, 12 April 2016 at 01:32:02 UTC, Brian Schott wrote:
> > On Monday, 11 April 2016 at 23:01:08 UTC, marcpmichel wrote:
> >> Is it because Linux is not an OS ? :p
> >
> > I gnu somebody would bring that up.
>
> There's actually a serious point here, though -- as D is ported
> to other platforms and architectures, it's going to wind up being
> used to target environments that use a Linux kernel but are not
> GNU.  Conversely, there may also be systems that are GNU but not
> Linux (e.g. the recent proposal for an Ubuntu flavour based on
> the FreeBSD kernel).
>
> Are druntime and phobos ready to deal with those kinds of
> eventuality?

Well, work has been done to make it so that different runtimes will work -
e.g. there's a CRuntime_Glibc and a CRuntime_Bionic. So, druntime is a lot
better off than just linux vs FreeBSD vs whatever. But it wouldn't surprise
me in the least if someone using something like Debian GNU/kFreeBSD would
find some problems with what we currently have.

- Jonathan M Davis