Why is Linux the only OS in version identifier list that has a lowercase name?

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 12 12:28:56 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 19:15:33 Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-
learn wrote:
> On Tuesday, 12 April 2016 at 18:23:25 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > Well, work has been done to make it so that different runtimes
> > will work - e.g. there's a CRuntime_Glibc and a CRuntime_Bionic.
>
> That's pretty cool.  Was that a result of the recent Android
> porting work, or was it a longer-standing division?

I believe that some of the LDC guys in particular (and maybe GDC guys too)
have been adding stuff like that over time to support the various platforms
that they support, though Bionic is specifically Android if I understand
correctly, and I think that it was spurred adding the Glibc version
specifically. IIRC, the other major divide like that is Digital Mars vs
Microsoft for the Windows C runtime, and I think that the addition of 64-bit
support to Windows is what ultimately spurred that one on.

> >                  So, druntime is a lot better off than just
> >
> > linux vs FreeBSD vs whatever. But it wouldn't surprise me in
> > the least if someone using something like Debian GNU/kFreeBSD
> > would find some problems with what we currently have.
>
> Ah, fun stuff :-)
>
> BTW, glad to see you will be making it to DConf -- looking
> forward to catching up with you!

:)

- Jonathan M Davis