De Facto standard for D programming language

Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 15 11:41:23 PDT 2016

On 04/15/2016 11:19 AM, jmh530 wrote:
 > On Friday, 15 April 2016 at 17:51:41 UTC, Napster wrote:
 >> I would like to start learning the De Facto standard. which book or
 >> document  would you use?
 >>
 >> http://erdani.com/index.php/books/tdpl/
 >>
 >> or
 >>
 >> https://dlang.org/spec/intro.html
 >>
 >> which one would you call de facto standard?
 >
 > If I were learning D from the beginning, I would read Ali's book:
 > http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/index.html
 >
 > I had read TDPL first and then from spec pages before finding his book.
 > His book probably doesn't cover everything, so it's worth looking at
 > those other sources as well.

Putting Phobos aside, I aim at including every keyword and pseudo
keyword and every feature in the book. Even if I decide not to cover a
particular keyword or feature, it should exist in the index. If you
catch an omission please let me know.

The benefit of an online book is that it can be up-to-date very quickly.
For example, reduce() has already been replaced with fold() that came
with 2.071: :)

   http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/ranges.html#ix_ranges.fold,%20std.algorithm

(The CreateSpace edition has been updated as well but it takes a while
for the readers see that change.)

Having said that, there are some omissions of how some features interact.

Ali