Using D in Games and bindings to c++ libraries

rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 6 01:04:45 PDT 2016

On 06/08/2016 6:28 PM, Neurone wrote:
> On Saturday, 6 August 2016 at 04:01:03 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
>> You can safely forget about RakNet by the looks.
>>
>> "While I still get some inquiries, as of as of March 13, 2015 I've
>> decided to stop licensing so I can focus on changing the world through
>> VR."
>>
>> So based upon this, what would you like to do? Scratch or another
>> pre-existing protocol like proto-buffers?
>
> It is a mature library, which has been open sourced under the BSD
> license when Oculus baught it. Hence why I want to use this instead of
> reinventing the wheel.

They really need to update its old website then.

I've had a look at the code, its mostly classes and is very c style.
You won't have trouble making bindings.

The main steps if you want to give it a go are:
1. Compile via MSVC (either 32 or 64bit are fine) can be static of dynamic
2. Compile D with -m32mscoff or -m64 and link against above binary

You will almost definitely want to use 64bit binaries not 32bit if you
use dub.

I know there is a D target for SWIG but I have never really used it. But
I do not believe you need any magical tool to do the binding creation
for you. The headers should convert over nicely as is for you.