Using D in Games and bindings to c++ libraries

Neurone via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 6 03:53:34 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 6 August 2016 at 08:04:45 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:
> On 06/08/2016 6:28 PM, Neurone wrote:
>> On Saturday, 6 August 2016 at 04:01:03 UTC, rikki cattermole
>> wrote:
>>> You can safely forget about RakNet by the looks.
>>>
>>> "While I still get some inquiries, as of as of March 13, 2015
>>> I've
>>> decided to stop licensing so I can focus on changing the
>>> world through
>>> VR."
>>>
>>> So based upon this, what would you like to do? Scratch or
>>> another
>>> pre-existing protocol like proto-buffers?
>>
>> It is a mature library, which has been open sourced under the
>> BSD
>> license when Oculus baught it. Hence why I want to use this
>> instead of
>> reinventing the wheel.
>
> They really need to update its old website then.
>
> I've had a look at the code, its mostly classes and is very c
> style.
> You won't have trouble making bindings.
>
> The main steps if you want to give it a go are:
> 1. Compile via MSVC (either 32 or 64bit are fine) can be static
> of dynamic
> 2. Compile D with -m32mscoff or -m64 and link against above
> binary
>
> You will almost definitely want to use 64bit binaries not 32bit
> if you use dub.
>
> I know there is a D target for SWIG but I have never really
> used it. But I do not believe you need any magical tool to do
> the binding creation for you. The headers should convert over
> nicely as is for you.

Do I use the DMD compiler? Also, would Dub not work with 64-bit
executables? I still need to use 32-bit to support systems that
aren't 64-bit yet.

Also, is it possible to use D like a traditional scripting
language? The use case is adding content to the server (which may
contain D scripts) without restarting it for a full recompile.