[Semi-OT] I don't want to leave this language!

e-y-e via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 5 09:18:25 PST 2016

Currently I have been learning D for about a year and a half.
This may seem like a short time, but this is the longest I have
stuck with any language. I have only been learning for 4 years
and I am currently in university studying first year of computer
systems engineering.

My main problem is that now I am looking for industry placements,
it is clear that in this field C and C++ are highly desired. I
have used C++ prior to discovering D, but much of my learning
curve has occured while using D, and I feel quite comfortable
using it. Using D makes me look back at what a great language it
is compared to C++ (I know it can also be compared to C but I
haven't used C).

So I don't want to go back. It isn't as if I have a career in C++
(like I know some people here have) and use D (only) for pleasure
so I have no real knowledge of how things I write in D compare to
what I would do in C++ (and none whatsoever for C).

Does anyone have any advice for me? Obviously I'm going to have
to make this leap and the organizations will have their own
ecosystem but while I'm learning how can I replace some of the
great things about D? Things like built-in unittests, sane static
if, painless CTFE, ranges, or even just the DUB package
manager/build tool.

Failing that, think of this as another one of those 'D is great!'
posts ;). And whatever happens, I'll certainly try and convince
my host company to use it...