[Semi-OT] I don't want to leave this language!

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 5 12:05:48 PST 2016

On Monday, 5 December 2016 at 17:18:25 UTC, e-y-e wrote:
> Currently I have been learning D for about a year and a half.
> This may seem like a short time, but this is the longest I have
> stuck with any language. I have only been learning for 4 years
> and I am currently in university studying first year of
> computer systems engineering.
>
> My main problem is that now I am looking for industry
> placements, it is clear that in this field C and C++ are highly
> desired. I have used C++ prior to discovering D, but much of my
> learning curve has occured while using D, and I feel quite
> comfortable using it. Using D makes me look back at what a
> great language it is compared to C++ (I know it can also be
> compared to C but I haven't used C).
>
> So I don't want to go back. It isn't as if I have a career in
> C++ (like I know some people here have) and use D (only) for
> pleasure so I have no real knowledge of how things I write in D
> compare to what I would do in C++ (and none whatsoever for C).
>
> Does anyone have any advice for me? Obviously I'm going to have
> to make this leap and the organizations will have their own
> ecosystem but while I'm learning how can I replace some of the
> great things about D? Things like built-in unittests, sane
> static if, painless CTFE, ranges, or even just the DUB package
> manager/build tool.
>
> Failing that, think of this as another one of those 'D is
> great!' posts ;). And whatever happens, I'll certainly try and
> convince my host company to use it...

I'm an academic, so no useful advice. I was reminded when reading
your post of all the comments from Lisp, Scheme, Haskell, and
[insert language] users that are able to choose their language
for much of their job. Many use Lisp. Just not for production. An
advantage of D is that you can mix C/C++ with D, so that
increases the chance of using it.