[Semi-OT] I don't want to leave this language!

Ilya Yaroshenko via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 5 12:25:00 PST 2016

Hi e-y-e,

The main problem with D for production is its runtime. GC,
DRuntime, Phobos is big constraint for real world software
production.

Good D code should be nothrow, @nogc, and betterC. BetterC means
that it must not require DRuntime to link and to start. I started
Mir as scientific/numeric project, but it is going to be a
replacement for Phobos to use D instead/with of C/C++.

For example, Mir CPUID, Mir GLAS, Mir Random are nothrow @nogc
and do not need DRuntime to start/link. (Mir Random is not tested
for BetterC, so maybe few dependencies are exist.) Mir Random
covers C++11 random number generation for example.

If D code can be compiled into a common C libraries like Mir
libs, than you can include it into existing ecosystem. Currently
it is possible only with LDC (requires some programming
techniques for now).

I will be happy to see more Mir contributors [1]

Currently there are 5 Mir devs (not all are visible publicly).

[1] https://github.com/libmir

Cheers,
Ilya