[Semi-OT] I don't want to leave this language!

bpr via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 6 18:24:56 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 6 December 2016 at 22:23:25 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Tuesday, 6 December 2016 at 22:13:54 UTC, bpr wrote:
>> Those programmers who are comfortable working in a GC-ed
>> language will likely eschew D because D's GC is really not
>> that great.
>
> So someone working with Ruby is not going to want to work with
> D because of GC performance?

Ruby programmers are probably not concerned with performance at
all ever. It's a slow interpreted language with a GIL. But if
you're on a Rails project, that's what you'll use.

If I really *want* to use a GC, say I'm writing a server and I
believe that a well tuned GC will allow my server to stay alive
much longer with less fragmentation, I'll probably skip D and
pick Go or maybe (hmmm...) even Java because their GCs have had a
lot of engineering effort.

> I wonder what percentage of Ruby programmers have thought about
> garbage collection ever.

Why would a Ruby or Python programmer unconcerned with
performance want to switch to D? I'm sure there are some who
would, but I'd imagine they're rare.