[Semi-OT] I don't want to leave this language!

Chris via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 7 08:15:32 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 at 15:17:21 UTC, Picaud Vincent
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 at 11:48:32 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>
>> [...]
>
> I understand and I do agree with these points, honestly. These
> points are also the reason why I will maybe try to use D for my
> own codes (D is really much better than C++ concerning
> template, meta programming syntax, embedded unit tests etc...).
>
> However I think that to popularize/attract people to use D, it
> is very important, to have a mechanism/feature that allows you
> to be close to the "zero overhead" situation.
>
> If you have two concurrent libraries (even in different
> languages), people will adopt the fastest one... As an example,
> look at the BLAS lib, people do not try to read/understand the
> code to see how nice it is, they just look at benchmarks and
> take the fastest implementation for their architecture. IMHO
> that is the reason why D must let the opportunity, for those
> who want (library developers for instance) of coding down to
> the metal: the goal is to have visibility in benchmarks and to
> attract users.
>
> At least it is my point of view.
>
> -- Vincent

I don't understand this discussion at all. Why not have both? I
don't need bare metal stuff at the moment but I might one day,
and I perfectly understand that people may need it. At the same
time, there are people who are happy with runtime/Phobos/GC. In
my opinion it's not a question of "either or" but of "both and".