Things that keep D from evolving?

rsw0x via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 8 09:18:36 PST 2016

On Monday, 8 February 2016 at 17:15:11 UTC, Wyatt wrote:
> On Monday, 8 February 2016 at 16:33:09 UTC, NX wrote:
>>
>> I see... By any chance, can we solve this issue with GC
>> managed pointers?
>
> Maybe we could.  But it's never going to happen.  Even if
> Walter weren't fundamentally opposed to multiple pointer types
> in D, it wouldn't happen.
>
> You asked about things that prevent improvement, right?  Here's
> the big one, and a major point of friction in the community:
> Walter and Andrei refuse to break existing code in pursuit of
> changes that substantially improve the language.  (Never mind
> that code tends to break anyway.)
>
> -Wyatt

Pretty much this.
We can't go a version without code breakage, but also can't
introduce features that would drastically help the language
because it would introduce breakage.
i.e, all the great ownership/scope/what-have-you proposals and
shit like DIP25 gets pushed through instead, then 2 days later it
gets proven to be worthless anyways. Woops.