Things that keep D from evolving?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 8 09:51:02 PST 2016

On Monday, 8 February 2016 at 17:15:11 UTC, Wyatt wrote:
> Maybe we could.  But it's never going to happen.  Even if
> Walter weren't fundamentally opposed to multiple pointer types
> in D, it wouldn't happen.
>
> You asked about things that prevent improvement, right?  Here's
> the big one, and a major point of friction in the community:
> Walter and Andrei refuse to break existing code in pursuit of
> changes that substantially improve the language.  (Never mind
> that code tends to break anyway.)

You are of course right, but it isn't an absolute. Nothing
prevents someone to restrict a D compiler in such a way that you
can get faster GC.

C++ compilers have lots of optional warnings/errors, so it is
quite possible. But I suppose those that want it would rather use
Go, C# or some other GC language than can do ahead of time
compilation.