Things that keep D from evolving?

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 8 14:21:50 PST 2016

On Monday, 8 February 2016 at 17:15:11 UTC, Wyatt wrote:
> On Monday, 8 February 2016 at 16:33:09 UTC, NX wrote:
>>
>> I see... By any chance, can we solve this issue with GC
>> managed pointers?
>
> Maybe we could.  But it's never going to happen.  Even if
> Walter weren't fundamentally opposed to multiple pointer types
> in D, it wouldn't happen.
>
> You asked about things that prevent improvement, right?  Here's
> the big one, and a major point of friction in the community:
> Walter and Andrei refuse to break existing code in pursuit of
> changes that substantially improve the language.  (Never mind
> that code tends to break anyway.)
>
> -Wyatt

I have no special knowledge but strikes this observer that they
are serious about working on solutions (whether that's a better
GC or alternatives or both).  But some patience required as its
not such a straightforward problem and its better to take time
than rush and make a mistake.  It wasn't all that long ago that
Andrei quit and I guess he moved across country and it certainly
takes time to sort out one's home office and find a new working
pattern.

The discussions in the mailing list are quite interesting
although beyond my technical knowledge for now.

The GC itself may still be far from perfect but its much better
than it was, and there are more options now.  I have found emsi
containers (built on top of Andrei's allocator) pretty nice
myself for my own use.