Things that keep D from evolving?

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 9 06:24:54 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 9 February 2016 at 13:01:29 UTC, NX wrote:
> On Monday, 8 February 2016 at 22:21:50 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
>> The GC itself may still be far from perfect but its much
>> better than it was, and there are more options now.  I have
>> found emsi containers (built on top of Andrei's allocator)
>> pretty nice myself for my own use.
>
> Well, GC being better than it used to be doesn't change the
> fact it's still the worst of it's kind. I don't know if this[1]
> work actually got released or merged but looks like it's
> abandoned. Pretty sad as it seemed very promising.
>
> Anyway, I was expecting a lot more people to tell their
> specific problems, like "bla bla design desicion makes ARC
> incredibly dangerous and we can't properly interface with
> Objective-C without that" or like "bla bla D feature overlaps
> with some other stuff and requires redesign to be solved" or
> maybe "being unsafe (@system) by default breaks the deal"...
> GC is just one of the hundreds of problems with D and it was an
> example rather than the main point in this thread but thanks
> for anyone who replied.
>

> [1]
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/mailman.655.1399956110.2907.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com

Thanks for pointing this one out. Opportunity comes dressed in
work clothes,and I guess that until someone takes the initiative
to integrate this with the newest version of the runtime / GC
then nothing will happen. It's not true that there are no
professional opportunities in D,  as some people say, and I can
say that for some people at least impressive contributions to the
language and community have paid off personally even though it
was a labour of love and not motivated by that.  Good programmers
don't grow on trees, and one benefit of the current size of the D
community is that it's easier to make an impact and easier to
stand out than in a much more crowded and mature domain where one
person can only hope to achieve incremental progress.

My impression is that barriers to adoption are fairly well
understood by now and it's a matter of time and hard work for
them to be addressed step by step. It's not only addressing
negatives but also completing positive things that will help.
Ndslice and porting BLAS on the numerical side and the interface
with R will both increase the attractiveness of D on finance,
not a small area.   It's not yet mature,  but knowing one can use
all the R libraries is already a big win.