Issues

Mathias Lang via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 22 15:14:34 PST 2016

On Monday, 22 February 2016 at 22:56:26 UTC, Andre wrote:

> I was wondering how people in this D community think about the
> number of issues with NEW status...

NEW just means 'not resolved'. Things are rarely assigned, and
usually go straight
from 'NEW' to 'RESOLVED'. An intermediate status, when a PR is
open, could be assigned by the dlang bot, but I don't know if
that would bring much.

> It could scare individuals/organizations to start with D, when
> they get the impression that there are a large and growing
> number of issues that are open (for years). I know this is not
> a fair interpretation of what's going on, but it's a conclusion
> one could make.

And that's a fair point. Though the number of resolved issues
grows much faster than the new ones.

> - Is there a preferred way to clean things up? A resolution
> status? A maximum time?

It's a case by case basis really. Whenever you hit a new issue,
search the bug tracker before opening a new one. You might find
two or more issues related to the same bug. In this case, I
recommend closing (as DUPLICATE) the one which is either the
least documented, or the newer one.
Bear in minds issues are not created equals, as some are very
broad / require significant design adjustment (e.g. 'object is
not const correct'), while some are trivial (some broken links in
the doc for example).

Some are also just enhancement request (valid or not), and it
might be interesting to move them somewhere else (DIP most
likely).

If you want to help triaging, I suggest going through the bug
reports and trying to reproduce with the latest release (skipping
the D1 only bugs). It's quite likely you'll find a decent amount
of bugs that were already fixed, but hasn't been marked as such.
You can then try to link them to Github P.R. (if possible) and
close them.