issue porting C++/glm/openGL to D/gl3n/openGL

Dav1d via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 11 06:07:52 PST 2016

On Sunday, 10 January 2016 at 05:47:01 UTC, WhatMeWorry wrote:
> On Sunday, 10 January 2016 at 04:37:43 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> On Sunday, 10 January 2016 at 02:51:57 UTC, WhatMeWorry wrote:
>>>

>>> Is gl3n not a direct replacement for glm?
>>>

>> From the very top of the gl3n github page:
>>
>> "OpenGL Maths for D (not glm for D)."
>>
>> So, no, it is not. You might want to start with the glm
>> documentaion [1].
>>
>> [1] http://dav1dde.github.io/gl3n/
>

> Thanks. Bummer. I really like gl3n, but glm/opengl is used
> almost exclusively in all the modern opengl code (tutorials)
> I've seen, so this might be a deal breaker.  As the author of
> Derelict do you have any ideas of how much work is involved
> with getting glm to work with D?
>
> Want to do a DerelictGLM :)
>
> I bought your excellent book as a xmas present for myself so
> looks like I'll be reading chapter 9.

gl3n has most features of GLM just the syntax is different and a
few other things.

gl3n then operates on row-major matrices only (Extrawurst wanted
to work on a column-major version), which isn't a big issue for
your usual GL, you just need to tell OpenGL that it is in
row-major format when uploading it.

iirc GLM is a header only library so you can't simply interface
it from D you would need to port every function, that's what I
basically did in gl3n only that I started from scratch and made
my own API etc. So you can use gl3n as a glm replacement it just
has a different syntax and a few semantics are different.

---

Regarding some functions not showing up on the website, that's
because the ddoc generator doesn't want to go into some static
if() or version() blocks. A known bug.