webfreak001: Request assist installing workspace-d on Windows

WebFreak001 via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 5 12:43:02 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 5 July 2016 at 19:34:48 UTC, Andrew Edwards wrote:
> On Tuesday, 5 July 2016 at 19:25:50 UTC, WebFreak001 wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 5 July 2016 at 19:14:32 UTC, Andrew Edwards wrote:
>>>
>>> There is on --config=client for the current version of dub so
>>> I went to the location of the source for
>>> experimental_allocator and ran dub build --build=release
>>> --config=library instead, which generated the missing file.
>>> Problem is I don't know how to fix this in your build
>>> instructions so that the compellation will resume or continue
>>> to completion. Please assist.
>>>
>> It fails on installing DCD. On the installation.bat just
>> select 2,3 and get prebuilt DCD binaries from the project page
>> or build them yourself.
>>

> It's more than that. Now, it fails because it can't find DMD.
> Now, I see no reason to use both DMD and LDC. Ultimately I'd
> like to use DMD because it is the simplest to install for a
> newcomer but your workspace-d/code-d requires LDC on windows
> platforms. If that's the case why would it now be failing
> because it cannot find DMD?

As you can see in the build.bat from DCD it is hardcoded to DMD:
https://github.com/Hackerpilot/DCD/blob/master/build.bat

So I guess you would need to use some DMD argument wrapper for
LDC (ldmd) to compile it but I can't guarantee that it will work.
Though if you have LDC v1.0.0 it should most probably work.

I would love to support DMD on workspace-d for windows but there
is some bug in DMD's phobos causing workspace-d to hang every
time you want to start the auto completion service. We found
where it hangs but we couldn't find the cause or how to reproduce
it yet. My best guess would be some win32 I/O functions are
somehow wrongly used in there.

The LDC phobos version doesn't have any issue there.

But if DCD doesn't compile with LDC, I don't think there is a way
other than getting both DMD and LDC right now except if you are
on linux.