Why D isn't the next "big thing" already

LaTeigne via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 30 04:31:26 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 30 July 2016 at 01:32:50 UTC, Karabuta wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 July 2016 at 15:11:00 UTC, llaine wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm using D since a few month now and I was wondering why
>> people don't jump onto it that much and why it isn't the "big
>> thing" already.
>>
>> Everybody is into javascript nowadays, but IMO even for doing
>> web I found Vibe.d more interesting and efficient than node.js
>> for example.
>>
>> I agree that you have to be pragmatic and choose the right
>> tools for the right jobs but I would be interested to have
>> other opinion on thoses questions.
>
> I think we need more frameworks like vibe.d to build things
> with them. Currently there is not much so only a class of
> programmers will find the language useful.
>
> Another thing is that the language is not marketed well enough.
> Someone need to handle marketing of the language, like real
> marketing. Most people are still unaware of D.

The best marketing possible is pre-marketing in universities. For
example in the 2000's Delphi was incredibly popular in Russia
because the holder at this time (so Borland unless it was already
Code Gear) sold literally **hundreds** of licenses to the russian
education department. This is how it became so popular in Eastern
Europe, despite of not being free.

The day D will be used to teach student programmation it could
get popular. Unfortunately since the students that form the main
frame of workers have short formation (typically 2 years) they
are taught what's really used in the industry so Java, C++ + web
languages, so that they're ready to program the same shit during
10 years, until they leave and reconvert.