Why D isn't the next "big thing" already

ketmar via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 30 04:46:11 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 30 July 2016 at 11:31:26 UTC, LaTeigne wrote:
> For example in the 2000's Delphi was incredibly popular in
> Russia because the holder at this time (so Borland unless it
> was already Code Gear) sold literally **hundreds** of licenses
> to the russian education department.

actually, no. nobody ever bothers to buy licenses at all. delphi
was popular due to teachers mostly know nothing except pascal, so
using turbo pascal, then borland pascal, then delphi was the
logical choice. believe me, it had nothing to do with licensing,
you hardly ever find legal, non-pirated delphi version there.