Asio Bindings?

Joerg Joergonson via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 8 21:18:22 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 at 23:19:13 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> I do have (Steinberg) ASIO binding in D.
>
> The problem is I couldn't release the bindings. I've asked
> Steinberg if it was OK to release D bindings and they were
> strongly against it unfortunately (and this was over 3 years
> ago..).
>
> Any kind of direct use of ASIO requires their approval first..
> meaning you had to register on their website.
>
> I would recommend using third party libs that abstract the
> underlying engine, like PortAudio  or RtAudio (the later of
> which I'm going to release a port of soon!).
>
> I had a binding to PortAudio but the devs of that library
> insisted on only supporting interleaved audio, RtAudio supports
> both interleaved and non-interleaved audio, and the library is
> easy to port.

Why would bindings have any issues with licensing? People release
VST source code all the time. Sure they will be against it
because they are muddlefudgers! They can't officially endorse it
without having to dealing with the user end to some degree and
Steinberg is known for that kind of behavior(just look at all the
hoops one has to jump through to get asio in the first place).

Of course, I can't convince you but and I'll probably have to
re-create your work, but hosting something like that on git
shouldn't cause any problems. At most, SB will send you a cease
and desist type of letter. In which case you take it down. Think
of mono, it essentially duplicated .net and MS hasn't done a
thing about it(they can't do much but flex their big muscles, in
which case they didn't).

I would appreciate it though if you thought about it again, it
would save me a bunch of work!

If the problem is that you have included SB source code, then
that can easily be remedied by removing and and placing an
abstraction in it's place where others can plug in the source
when they d/l it from SB.

I haven't got into writing any audio stuff yet but when I look in
to it more I'll check out the options. I don't need anything
overly complex but do need low latency IO.