OpenGL Setup?

wobbles via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 16 14:28:19 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 16 June 2016 at 19:52:58 UTC, OpenJelly wrote:
> Last time I worked on anything OpenGL in D I was using a Linux
> machine, and I had to really bend over backward to get set up.
> I'm using Windows 7 at the moment and I'd like to work on some
> graphics stuff but I'm pretty lost...
>
> I just want to install an IDE that's not prone to crashing and
> comes with standard features like D syntax highlighting, code
> completion, code folding, side bar with my project's directory,
> integrated console, bindable key commands (build (with dub),
> run, stop), and some debugging help doesn't hurt but I can get
> by without being able to set break points... and then I need to
> get the right libs and bindings in order nut half of them I
> can't figure out the instructions for.
>
> What I've been trying to do for the past few hours is set up
> SublimeText3 with dub and get the derelictGLFW3 binding to
> work, but I can't even get dkit working, and I'd honestly
> rather be using code::blocks but I've had trouble getting D
> code completion working in that before, and while I could
> probably get SFML bindings to work (as their documentation
> caters to idiots like me), I don't really want to use it, I
> just want something small that handles an OpenGL window without
> the other stuff.
>
> If anyone's got a solid setup and can explain to me like I'm 5
> how they got it all nice, that'd really help me out a lot.
> Thanks.

I notice the ST3 plugin was a bit... flaky the last time I tried
it (admittedly about 6 months ago).

I ended up settling on vim with a few plugins (and live without
auto-complete, it's not that important for me), but when I was
using GUI text editors, I settled on VS Code with the code-d
plugin. Its autocomplete etc worked pretty much out of the box
for me.

https://code.visualstudio.com/
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=webfreak.code-d

Make sure you follow the 'dependencies' section of code-d through
though to get your env set up. It worked outta the box for me, on
both windows and linux.

You can get VS Code to compile via ctrl+B (I think that was the
shortcut) but you've to make a modification to a json file to
tell it to do it.

If you need more help let me know and I'll write up something
proper for you.

Cheers!