Get specific item by index from DList

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 22 15:50:47 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 10:49:54PM +0000, TheDGuy via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 June 2016 at 22:25:21 UTC, lmpo wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 22 June 2016 at 22:10:09 UTC, TheDGuy wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > i am currently programming a small game with GTKD and i have to
> > > use a Dlist because an array is static
> >
> > Static ? An array is not static. a DList is only interesting when
> > you have to insert or remove inside the list i.e not at the back. If
> > the container grows always from the back than you should rather use
> > an array.
>
> Thanks a lot for your answer. The main reason why i switched the DList
> is, that i have to initialize an array with a fixed length but it is
> important for me that the length-value of the property of the array is
> not the maximum length but the amount of indexes which actually
> contain values. I don't know how i could do this without creating an
> extra variable?

Take a look at:

	https://dlang.org/spec/arrays.html

In particular, at the .reserve() method and .capacity property of
arrays.  It sounds like what you want is to call .reserve on the array
but keep its length at 0 when you first initialize it.  This way you
don't need to keep an "extra variable" around.

When solving a problem, take care that you do not become part of the problem.