Programming in D vs The D Programming Language

Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 13 09:45:57 PDT 2016

On 03/13/2016 09:27 AM, gour wrote:

 > a) how much is Andrei's book still relevant?

You may find that D has changed since TDPL was printed but it's still a
great read. In some places it explains tradeoffs in language design in
general.

 > b) whether PiD is recommended one to start with D *today* ?

PiD starts as a tutorial to novices but can also be used a D language
(not Phobos) reference because it includes virtually everything. (There
are exceptions e.g. __ctor and friends are not mentioned at all.)

Best thing for you to do is to check out PiD first before deciding to
buy. The PDF file is exactly the same as the printed version:

   http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/

 > plan to release PiD with hardcover

There is a hardcover edition:

   978-0-692-59943-3

 > since several reviewers @Amazon reported that the glued used to
 > bind the book is not the best*

I found the quality of the softcover by CreateSpace pretty good in
general but there was one copy that was trimmed unacceptable crooked.
However, I've never seen one with a bad glue. I think this is due to
different regional printers: Perhaps the printers that shipped to my
address (Bay Area, California) were better. (?)

On the other hand, the hardcover edition that I have has a different
kind of binding issue: The long rectangular spine piece is too narrow.
(I've heard this from a reader as well.) I presume the paper used by the
printer has gotten thicker over time, presumably still within spec, but
the template that they give to the cover designer is still for thinner
paper. (?) The end result is a book that doesn't fit inside that narrow
spine piece well. :-/

I've gone all the trouble to also publish with IngramSpark and gave the
book stores a very big discount just so that users could return their
books. How about order your copy through your local book store and see
how it looks and whether the return process is pleasant. (If not, I'll
buy you dinner in Berlin at DConf. ;) )

Ali