Programming in D vs The D Programming Language

Saša Janiška via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 13 14:40:38 PDT 2016

Ali Çehreli <acehreli at yahoo.com> writes:

> You may find that D has changed since TDPL was printed but it's still
> a great read. In some places it explains tradeoffs in language design
> in general.

Yeah, I like, based on what I've seen some portions which explains
'why'.

> PiD starts as a tutorial to novices but can also be used a D language
> (not Phobos) reference because it includes virtually everything.

Great!

> I found the quality of the softcover by CreateSpace pretty good in
> general but there was one copy that was trimmed unacceptable crooked.
> However, I've never seen one with a bad glue.

Have you seen this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1WWT9EIV3UDI0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0692599436

> On the other hand, the hardcover edition that I have has a different
> kind of binding issue: The long rectangular spine piece is too narrow.

Hmm...that's strange as well...

> I presume the paper used by the printer has gotten thicker over time,
> presumably still within spec, but the template that they give to the
> cover designer is still for thinner paper. (?) The end result is a
> book that doesn't fit inside that narrow spine piece well. :-/

I was publishing hardcover books so I know what are you talking about.

Otoh, if I'd put paperback in hardcover at some local shop. it would
cost me additional $10  - almost the price difference, but I might think
about it since the end result might be better. (btw, I also put Andrei's
book in hardcover and the end result is superb.)

> I've gone all the trouble to also publish with IngramSpark and gave
> the book stores a very big discount just so that users could return
> their books. How about order your copy through your local book store
> and see how it looks and whether the return process is pleasant.

Well, I'm from Croatia and the D is too unpopular here, so there is no
way to find the book in the local store.

Anyway, thank you for additional info about book production and its
quality, so I can have proper decision what to buy.

(If not, I'll buy you dinner in Berlin at DConf. ;) )

Thank you for an invitation - I'm not sure I'll make it, but, at least,
I'm happy to be back to D and your book is one of the reasons. ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
>From wherever the mind wanders due to its flickering and unsteady
nature, one must certainly withdraw it and bring it back under
the control of the self.