Enabling Only Top-Level Unittests

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 21 08:25:29 PDT 2016

On Monday, 21 March 2016 at 15:15:41 UTC, Nordlöw wrote:
> This is because my project has grown beyond 30klines of code
> and at that scale not even D's speed is enough for getting fast
> incremental builds through dmd.

Note that lines of code isn't really important to build time...

$ time dmd -c -o- dom.d cgi.d web.d sha.d libssh2.d
simpledisplay.d color.d minigui.d terminal.d characterencodings.d

real    0m1.063s
user    0m0.986s
sys     0m0.075s

$ wc dom.d cgi.d web.d sha.d libssh2.d simpledisplay.d color.d
minigui.d terminal.d characterencodings.d
   6645  22789 173999 dom.d
   3994  16063 123572 cgi.d
   4921  18287 143876 web.d
    412   1407  10066 sha.d
    189    478   5357 libssh2.d
   8850  34060 274340 simpledisplay.d
   1163   4413  27268 color.d
   2785   8150  70996 minigui.d
   3834  13888 114827 terminal.d
    473   2819  18391 characterencodings.d
  33266 122354 962692 total

Yes, compiling 33,000 lines from my libs happened in about one
second.

My experience with slow D builds tends to be that it is caused by
CTFE, not by scale.