What is up with building DMD (et al.) on Windows?

Poul Jensen via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed May 11 05:16:25 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 04:48:23 UTC, Jeremy DeHaan wrote:
> I went to build DMD on Windows for the first time tonight and I
> have to say that it was a terrible experience when compared
> with Linux.
>
> First issue I ran into was having HOST_DC not being set. I'm
> not sure if the DMD installer is supposed to do this or if I
> needed to take care of it, but it wasn't mentioned anywhere I
> could find. I finally just set it myself.
>
> Then it builds DMD, but gets placed in dmd/src/ instead of its
> own directory.
>
> After DMD is built, other things keep getting built by DMC. I
> get more than a few errors due to having an eof character on
> the first line of some .h files, or something like that.
>
> I also built druntime, but instead of trying to use a freshly
> built dmd.exe in the neighboring DMD source directory, it went
> for the one in PATH. I haven't bothered to build Phobos on
> Windows yet.
>
> Building DMD, Phobos, and druntime on Linux is so easy and
> straight forward. It all works as expected. What's up with
> building DMD on Windows?

I used to have an awesome script that automates
DMD+druntime+Phobos construction. In the past it used to be in
the wiki but it was deleted since.

https://wiki.dlang.org/?title=Building_DMD&diff=6074&oldid=5567#Windows_-_AIO_solutions

It was just after the bootstrap and I've moved to Linux since, so
it's not granted to still work ! Be warned.

Personnaly I don't build dmd anymore, usually a simple -main
-unittest over a phobos module is enough to test locally a PR but
I know you will build a lot because of the GSOC so you need a
robust method. A script is fine is the obvious solution.