What is up with building DMD (et al.) on Windows?

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed May 11 07:30:44 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 04:48:23 UTC, Jeremy DeHaan wrote:
> After DMD is built, other things keep getting built by DMC. I
> get more than a few errors due to having an eof character on
> the first line of some .h files, or something like that.

I've never seen such an error. Do you have the details?

> Building DMD, Phobos, and druntime on Linux is so easy and
> straight forward. It all works as expected. What's up with
> building DMD on Windows?

For historical reasons, the Windows makefiles take a different
approach in many aspects. One important point is that they are
limited to the feature set of the Digital Mars make
implementation, which is extremely basic.

For a build tool which can build D and all its components from
source today, you can have a look at Digger:

https://github.com/CyberShadow/Digger