Newbie to D, first impressions and feedback on the 5 (and more) first minutes.

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed May 25 04:24:44 PDT 2016

On Wed, 2016-05-25 at 10:18 +0000, Richard Delorme via Digitalmars-d-
learn wrote:
[…]
> The main problem is that ldc, dmd and gdc cannot share the same
> runtime library yet. So the three compilers do not cohabit well
> in a system wide environment. The manual installation puts each
> compiler in their own /opt/<compiler> or /usr/local/<compiler>
> directory with a lot of stuffs duplicated (gdc come with its own
> gcc compiler, etc.). I do not known how Debian or ArchLinux deal
> with that, but I guess Fedora maintainers judge this situation
> unsustainable. The choice of ldc is probably the best one, to
> gather both a recent druntime and a compiler producing fast
> executable.

Sadly, on Debian, the gdc packaging and the ldc packaging conflict over
the search path for module sources and so gdc will not work if ldc is
installed.

This turns out to be a real ####### pain for the SCons tests.

The problem for Fedora is that there are no maintainers taking
responsibility for D stuff other than ldc. Like Debian and Arch, Fedora
relies on people volunteering and keeping going with packaging. ldc is
packaged by all, which is good. Sadly no dub.

[…]
> Yes, that may be a good thing.
> Another one would be to detach the development of phobos from
> dmd, and that the developer of phobos take care not to break the
> compatibility of the library with other compilers.

I thought DMD and Phobos were separate. Given proper versioning (which
I think we have) there should be no problem.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk