Newbie to D, first impressions and feedback on the 5 (and more) first minutes.

Richard Delorme via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed May 25 03:18:05 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 25 May 2016 at 09:41:10 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:

> D is a problem on Fedora: dmd, gdc, and dub are not packaged.
> ldc is so there is that – many would argue that having ldc is
> much more important than dmd or gdc.

The main problem is that ldc, dmd and gdc cannot share the same
runtime library yet. So the three compilers do not cohabit well
in a system wide environment. The manual installation puts each
compiler in their own /opt/<compiler> or /usr/local/<compiler>
directory with a lot of stuffs duplicated (gdc come with its own
gcc compiler, etc.). I do not known how Debian or ArchLinux deal
with that, but I guess Fedora maintainers judge this situation
unsustainable. The choice of ldc is probably the best one, to
gather both a recent druntime and a compiler producing fast
executable.

>  Yes there are dmd and dub rpms but it is all very manual.
> There needs to be a repository for Fedora rpms as there is one
> for Debian debs.

Yes, that may be a good thing.
Another one would be to detach the development of phobos from
dmd, and that the developer of phobos take care not to break the
compatibility of the library with other compilers.

--
Richard