the best language I have ever met(?)

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 18 11:43:49 PST 2016

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 07:26:56PM +0000, Igor Shirkalin via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Friday, 18 November 2016 at 18:14:41 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > Welcome, Igor!
> Hello, Teoh!
> >
> > Your sentiments reflect mine years ago when I first discovered D.  I
> > came from a C/C++/Perl background.  It was also Andrei's book that
> > got me started; in those early days documentation was scant and I
> > didn't know how to write idiomatic D code. But after I found TDPL,
> > the rest was history. :-)
> I was a little bit afraid of my missunderstanding in terms of
> sentiments.  You've got me right (I don't quite feel the meaning of
> that in these non-cyrillic letters:). But what I understand is the
> path you have walked and what I have in my mind.

Yes, I meant 'sentiments' as in опыта, not as in сентметальность. :-)

> Simple example about D: I spent two hours to write a line (borrowed
> from Python), related with lazy calculations, but finally I got it
> with deep great thinking, and it was like understanding of Moon
> alienation from Earth.

Great!  Would you like to share the code snippet?

[...]
> What is your using of D?
> For me it is tool to develope other tools.
[...]

Sadly, I have not been able to use D in a professional capacity. My
coworkers are very much invested into C/C++ and have a very high level
of skepticism to anything else, in addition to resistance to adding new
toolchains (much less languages) to the current projects.  So my use of
D has mainly been in personal projects.  I do contribute to Phobos (the
standard library) every now and then, though.  It's my way of
"contributing to the cause" in the hopes that one day D may be more
widespread and accepted by the general programming community.

By understanding a machine-oriented language, the programmer will tend to use a much more efficient method; it is much closer to reality. -- D. Knuth