Where should I dump workarounds?

Johan Engelen via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 30 13:48:20 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 30 November 2016 at 18:50:42 UTC, Dukc wrote:
> On Wednesday, 30 November 2016 at 18:26:32 UTC, Jonathan M
> Davis wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> - Jonathan M Davis
>
> Luckily, I have made a branch for my stuff instead of using
> master. But thanks for the help, now I know that it does not
> matter where I create the other branch for that workaround
> because I can rebase it after I have used it to test my stuff.

Tip: forget about the `master` branch in your own fork on GH. I
never use it.
Instead, my advice is to locally checkout the master branch from
the repo you want to contribute to (dlang/phobos in your case).

> I just hope I don't screw the whole thing up with git
> commands...

Tip: use both a GUI and the commandline. Without SourceTree [1],
I would be nowhere near as effective with git.

With rebasing, you'll end up having to force push. Force pushing
is scary (because the repo state may have changed between you
updating your local state and you pushing), so it's nicer to use
--force-with-lease. [2]
Make an alias for that:
`git config --global alias.pushf "push --force-with-lease"`
then you can do "git pushf" to force push rebased branches
"safely". I can't remember the last time I used `git push
--force`.

-Johan

[1] https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/
[2]