Clarify "Starting as a Contributor" document

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Sun Dec 10 08:36:30 UTC 2017

On Sunday, 10 December 2017 at 08:18:17 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> This page is very good:

It's still far from perfect and every improvement for this guide
is very welcome.

>   https://wiki.dlang.org/Starting_as_a_Contributor
>
> I need clarifications:
>
> 1) Should we change all
>
>   git push -f ...
>
> commands there with
>
>   git push --force-with-lease ...

I know that --force is "considered harmful", but so far this has
never been an issue and -f should be easier to remember for
newbies.

tl;dr: I don't have a strong opinion here, but I guess there is
no harm done in "officially" recommending -force-with-lease.

> 2) Can you please explain the last sentence of this part:
>
> <quote>
> If the pull request is for a bug fix, the commit message should
> have the format "fix issue 1234". This enables the dlang-bot to
> automatically pick up the issue from Bugzilla and post it as a
> comment on the PR. If the PR is already open, then a git rebase
> is necessary followed by a force push. During the rebase, the
> commit message should be renamed to match the one specified.
> </quote>
>
> What is "the commit message"? What is "the one specified"?

The text is referring to the git commit message. I think the
second part is trying to explain the typical scenario that you
have opened a PR and forgot to reference a regarding issue in
your git commit message. Though git commit --amend is an easier
way to edit the last git commit message.

The Readme here might also shed some light:
https://github.com/dlang-bots/dlang-bot

> 3) Does Dlang-Bot already do the following or should the
> contributor do it manually?
>
> "Pull request descriptions should contain a hyperlink to the
> Bugzilla issue that is being fixed. This is usually added at
> the end of the description."

Yes the bot does this nowadays. This text could be replaced with
sth. like:

If a pull request isn't a trivial bug, its description should
explain the motivation for the change and briefly summarize the
changes.

> Thank you,
> Ali

You are very welcome. I hope my answers help. Otherwise don't
hesitate to ask again. We really need to improve the contribution
experience for newcomers!