Understanding how dub works

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Wed Dec 13 00:43:31 UTC 2017

On 12/12/2017 10:20 PM, datboi wrote:
> Hi, I'm learning D (obliviously) and I can't understand how exactly
> dependencies work. I haven't found answers to my questions in
> documentation (or i did't understand it), so can someone answer to mine
> questions?
>
> 1. Does dub compile dependencies as separate binaries? And if yes how to
> specify where should be they placed?

Object/static files, but yes.

Where they go:

Windows: %APPDATA%/roaming/dub
Posix: ~/.dub

You don't need to change this and if you think you do, you're wrong :)

> 2. It is possible to compile subpackage as a dynamic or static library
> and link it to main binary file? Or just better create separate dub
> package and use it as dependency?

Static yes, dynamic it won't link against (some bug last I heard).
Have to do that manually.

"dependencies": { "mypackage:subpackage": "*" }

Change as required for SDL.