Checking, whether string contains only ascii.

HeiHon via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 23 09:44:05 PST 2017

On Thursday, 23 February 2017 at 08:34:53 UTC, berni wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 February 2017 at 21:23:45 UTC, H. S. Teoh
> wrote:
>> 	enforce(!s.any!"a > 127");
>
> Puh, it's lot's of possibilities to choose of, now... I thought
> of something like the foreach-loop but wasn't sure if that is
> correct for all utf encodings. All in all, I think I take the
> any-approach, because it feels a little bit more like looking
> at the string at a whole and I like to use enforce.
>
> Thanks for all your answers!

All the examples given here are very nice.
But alas this will not work with postscript files as found in the
wild.

> In my program, I read a postscript file. Normal postscript
> files should only be composed of ascii characters, but one
> never knows what users give us. Therefore I'd like to make sure
> that the string the program read is only made up of ascii
> characters.

Generally postscript files may contain binary data.
Think of included images or font data.
So in postscript files there should normally be no utf-8 encoded
text, but binary data are quite usual.
Think of postscript files as a sequence of ubytes.