Recommend: IDE and GUI library

Moritz Maxeiner via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Feb 24 16:45:24 PST 2017

On Friday, 24 February 2017 at 22:44:55 UTC, XavierAP wrote:
> Hi I've looked at wiki.dlang.org/IDEs, and I see that Visual D
> is linked from dlang.org/download.html. Still I was looking for
> personal opinions and experiences beyond hard specs, I wonder
> if one of the IDEs is already dominant at least for each OS for
> any good reason.
>
> My requirements are quite ordinary: make x64, debug, go to
> definition, manage projects, code completion. My platform is
> Windows; interested if the choice would be different for Linux,
> if the same nice, otherwise I'd prefer to use whatever is best
> on each OS.

I use Visual Studio Code on Linux and macOS, not sure how the
experience on Windows is, but I'd expect it to be the same. With
the dlang extension[1], the usual development tools dcd, dfmt,
dscanner, dfix (see code.dlang.org for these), and the native
debug extension[2] all your requirements are covered. After the
setup everything has been working smoothly and I'm very happy
with it.
The *only* little gripe about it is that Visual Studio Code uses
the Electron framework and drains about 10-20% more power than
e.g. neovim, though the comparison is apples vs oranges.

> And second question, is DWT the de facto standard for creating
> GUIs? Or are there good competitors.

AFAIK there is no standard in creating GUIs with D. I suppose if
any one of them has what it takes to take that position in the
future it'd be dlangui[3], but considering the issue tracker and
the manpower available that'll likely still take a while.
In the meantime I personally use dqml[4] (QtQuick 2.0 bindings)
since I like MVC, and this allows me to write application logic
and model in D, visual in QML, and controller in JS (and this
also allows me to swap out the application core without changing
a single line in the QML or JS).

> Sorry if I'm asking something too obvious, though I've looked
> around for answers before.

If it's obvious, I missed it myself; I pretty much tried out all
the GUI/TUI things on code.dlang.org until I found something I
liked.

[1] https://github.com/dlang-vscode/dlang-vscode
[2] https://github.com/WebFreak001/code-debug
[3] https://github.com/buggins/dlangui