CMake support for D

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 16 04:29:46 PST 2017

On Mon, 2017-01-16 at 11:40 +0000, King_DuckZ via Digitalmars-d-learn
wrote:
> On Sunday, 3 January 2016 at 17:30:15 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar
> wrote:
> > Does CMake recognise D in the enable_language command?
> >
> > If not is there a workaround?
> >
> > Thanks and Regards
> > Dibyendu
>
> One year later, is there any progress on this? Now that gdc has
> gained support for .so (it seems), lack of cmake support is the
> only thing that is preventing me from adopting D. I agree that
> cmake is not the prettiest thing out there, but I think there are
> many good reasons for wanting it:

Does this do the job?

https://github.com/dcarp/cmake-d

> 1) As already said, it's needed for CLion

I wish CLion would support Meson.

Meson can build D stuff out of the box.

> 2) Many programmers, including myself, are already familiar with
> its syntax - pretty or not, learning a new tool is extra work

Which can actually be a good thing, learning is something we should all
be doing all the time.

> 3) As far as I know, you can't mix C++ and D with dub

I'm having difficulty getting Dub to compile D and clean up afterwards.
:-(

> 4) I could just drop D code in my pre-existing C++ projects
> without much effort on the build system

I was going to try moving Me TV from C++ to D, but the path of least
resistance is to just continue with it in C++ and put all the C++17
stuff in.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk