CMake support for D

King_DuckZ via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 16 09:47:05 PST 2017

On Monday, 16 January 2017 at 12:29:46 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-01-16 at 11:40 +0000, King_DuckZ via
> Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
>> On Sunday, 3 January 2016 at 17:30:15 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar
>> wrote:
>> > Does CMake recognise D in the enable_language command?
>> >
>> > If not is there a workaround?
>> >
>> > Thanks and Regards
>> > Dibyendu
>>
>> One year later, is there any progress on this? Now that gdc
>> has gained support for .so (it seems), lack of cmake support
>> is the only thing that is preventing me from adopting D. I
>> agree that cmake is not the prettiest thing out there, but I
>> think there are many good reasons for wanting it:
>
> Does this do the job?
>
> https://github.com/dcarp/cmake-d

I had forgotten about that... I even used it at some point a long
time ago, maybe I should give it another try, since it seems to
have received lots of commits since then!

>> 1) As already said, it's needed for CLion
>
> I wish CLion would support Meson.
>
> Meson can build D stuff out of the box.

Hadn't heard of this before, I'll have a look. Btw I don't see
any mention of D on their home page.

>> 2) Many programmers, including myself, are already familiar
>> with its syntax - pretty or not, learning a new tool is extra
>> work
>
> Which can actually be a good thing, learning is something we
> should all be doing all the time.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be learning things, but time is
limited and I'd rather practice my C++ or D than learn yet
another build system, especially if I only have limited use for
it :)

>> 3) As far as I know, you can't mix C++ and D with dub
>
> I'm having difficulty getting Dub to compile D and clean up
> afterwards. :-(
>
>> 4) I could just drop D code in my pre-existing C++ projects
>> without much effort on the build system
>
> I was going to try moving Me TV from C++ to D, but the path of
> least resistance is to just continue with it in C++ and put all
> the C++17 stuff in.

I feel the same about many small tools I wrote.