Learning resources

Dlearner via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 24 13:24:49 PST 2017

On Tuesday, 24 January 2017 at 21:14:08 UTC, pineapple wrote:
> On Tuesday, 24 January 2017 at 20:15:38 UTC, Dlearner wrote:
>> Hey all!
>>
>> I'm learning programming through D and having a really good
>> time (much better than with C++ or Python).  I'm aiming to
>> make little games with it as a hobby so I've learned some
>> OpenGL stuff.
>> But, I feel like I'm learning more library code rather than D
>> concepts and idioms, especially where efficiency and
>> performance are concerned.  (I also have a light interest in
>> functional programming for when it would make sense to employ
>> those principles.)
>>
>> Are there any tutorials that show off the power of D with
>> worked examples that explain the importance of certain
>> features?
>
> I highly recommend going through this to start with:
>
> https://p0nce.github.io/d-idioms/
>
> I've been working on this library (which includes some gamedev
> and functional programming stuff). It's moderately-well
> documented and I am more than happy to help and provide
> examples if it interests you
>
> https://github.com/pineapplemachine/mach.d/tree/master/mach/sdl

Oh yes, I had a perusal of the D-idioms page.  A lot of it was
too advanced for someone like me, but I learned a few things!
I try to learn a lot about programming in general, so I got into
Data Oriented Design.  I don't touch OOP stuff, I use POD structs
and enjoy the benefits of UFCS and CTFE.  They really make life
much simpler.

Your library looks really convenient, too.  And it's called
pineapple machine so that's a plus.  I'll try and have a mess
around with it this week and see how far I can get, then will
probably ask a bunch of questions.  :D