It makes me sick!

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 27 11:24:26 PDT 2017

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 14:14:52 Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-
learn wrote:
> On 7/27/17 1:58 PM, FoxyBrown wrote:
> > I do not use the installer, I use the zip file. I assumed that
> > everything would be overwritten and any old stuff would simply go
> > unused.. but it seems it doesn't. If the other person used the installer
> > then it is a problem with dmd itself not designed properly and using
> > files that it shouldn't. I simply unzip the zip file in to the dmd2 dir
> > and replace sc.ini... that has been my MO for since I've been trying out
> > dmd2 and only recently has it had a problem.
>
> If you extracted the zip file over the original install, then it didn't
> get rid of std/datetime.d (as extracting a zipfile doesn't remove items
> that exist on the current filesystem but aren't in the zipfile). So I
> can totally see this happening.
>
> I don't know of a good way to solve this except to tell people, don't do
> that.

Yeah, there are plenty of releases where nothing gets removed, but files do
get removed from time to time, so simply extracting the zip on top of the
old directory will cause problems at least occasionally. Also, in the case
of Linux, an .so is generated with a specific version number in it, so every
release has different files. I don't think that Windows currently has
anything like that, but it could in the future. So, if you want to use the
zip, then you should always remove the old version and not simply overwrite
it.

- Jonathan M Davis