It makes me sick!

FoxyBrown via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 27 11:35:02 PDT 2017

On Thursday, 27 July 2017 at 18:14:52 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On 7/27/17 1:58 PM, FoxyBrown wrote:
>> On Thursday, 27 July 2017 at 12:23:52 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
>> wrote:

>>> It _should_ take care of it. The fact that multiple people
>>> have run into this problem and that the solution was to
>>> remove dmd and then reinstall it implies that there's a bug
>>> in the installer.
>>>
>>> - Jonathan M Davis
>>
>> I do not use the installer, I use the zip file. I assumed that
>> everything would be overwritten and any old stuff would simply
>> go unused.. but it seems it doesn't. If the other person used
>> the installer then it is a problem with dmd itself not
>> designed properly and using files that it shouldn't. I simply
>> unzip the zip file in to the dmd2 dir and replace sc.ini...
>> that has been my MO for since I've been trying out dmd2 and
>> only recently has it had a problem.
>
> If you extracted the zip file over the original install, then
> it didn't get rid of std/datetime.d (as extracting a zipfile
> doesn't remove items that exist on the current filesystem but
> aren't in the zipfile). So I can totally see this happening.
>
> I don't know of a good way to solve this except to tell people,
> don't do that.
>
> -Steve

But the issue was about missing symbols, not anything "extra". If
datatime.d is there but nothing is using it, why should it
matter? Why would it have any effect on the compilation process
and create errors with D telling me something is being used that
isn't?

dmd shouldn't be picking up extraneous and non-connected files
just for the fun of it.

Basically, if no "references" escape out side of the D ecosystem,
then there shouldn't be a problem.