It makes me sick!

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 28 06:29:34 PDT 2017

On Friday, 28 July 2017 at 12:48:37 UTC, Grander wrote:
> On Friday, 28 July 2017 at 12:40:27 UTC, rjframe wrote:
>> On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 05:14:16 +0000, FoxyBrown wrote:
>>>
>>> You can make any claim you want like: "The end user should
>>> install in to a clean dir so that DMD doesn't get confused
>>> and load a module that doesn't actually have any
>>> implementation" but that's just your opinion.
>>
>> I have never seen extracting into the directory as a supported
>> upgrade path for anything except the simplest of applications
>> and a few PHP projects that supply a migration script.
>
> Well, any other installer would have done the required cleanup
> in such a case.

The D installer completely uninstalls the previous installation.
Anyone who chooses to instead manually extract the zip file
should manually delete the previous installation to avoid
potential problems. As Jonathan said earlier, overwriting works
most of the time, but whenever anything is removed, issues like
this can crop up.