Building a project with CMAKE

Johan Engelen via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 4 02:02:15 PST 2017

On Friday, 3 March 2017 at 22:06:11 UTC, berni wrote:
> On Friday, 3 March 2017 at 20:10:25 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
>> Which would put gdc in between the two. Is your experience
>> different?
>
> Actually, I've got not much experience. A few weeks ago I ran a
> test where ldc was in between dmd and gdc. But I missed the
> -release flags then. With that flag it's faster, but still
> slower than gdc on that one (B below). With an other testcase,
> where I compared them, gdc and ldc are on equals speed (A
> below).
>
> A) dmd 52s, gdc 22s, ldc 22s
> B) dmd 432s, gdc 280s, ldc 310s

If you think you have a good testcase, it's nice for compiler
devs like me to open a new thread about the difference that you
found between the compilers (so that we can try and improve
things). Depending on language/Phobos/druntime versions of DMD,
LDC, and GDC, it's not always clear if the comparison is fair and
the results can be skewed.

(that said, I think on average, gcc creates slightly faster
binaries than clang, but those are highly developed compilers,
and LDC (at least) isn't. So I am not surprised if GDC creates
slightly faster binaries than LDC for some test cases. For other
test cases, LDC wins, but those are not so interesting. Because I
work on LDC, I'm always keen on seeing testcases where _GDC_
wins.)

Thanks!
   Johan