Error: out of memory

Basile B. via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 18 15:51:59 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 18 March 2017 at 20:56:47 UTC, StarGrazer wrote:
> On Saturday, 18 March 2017 at 20:43:29 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
>> On Saturday, 18 March 2017 at 20:39:20 UTC, StarGrazer wrote:
>>> I have some CTFE's and meta programming that cause dmd to run
>>> out of memory ;/
>>>
>>> I am generating simple classes, but a lot of them. dmd uses
>>> about 2GB before it quites. It also only uses about 12% of
>>> cpu.
>>>
>>> I have 16 GB total memory and about that free. Surely dmd
>>> could do a better job? Any way to get it to do such a thing
>>> like set the maximum amount of memory it can use?
>>
>> DMD32 under win ?
>
> I guess. Whatever the dmd is from the download page. Yes, under
> windows.

32bit processes have a limited access to the ram. Over your 16Gb
only 2^^31 can be used. Add even this amount is likely to be
reduced by the memory fragmentation.

In the future you'll be able to do more. Current CTFE engine has
a suboptimal memory system, which will be changed in 2.075.
See
https://dlang.org/blog/2016/11/18/project-highlight-the-new-ctfe-engine/, which explains more the memory thing.